Sea world contain number of things that are extremely beneficial to human health. Fucoidan is one among them. It is a natural compound found in various forms of seaweed like kombu, limu, wakame and mozuku. In addition to plants, some animals like the sea cucumber is also a source of this natural compound.
Fucoidan is found in two forms. In scientific terms, theses two forms are known as Fucoidan, a complex sulphated polysaccharide containing the sulphuric ester L-fucose and the other form is U-Fucoidan that contains the trace elements like galactose, xylose, and about 20- per cent glucuronic acid. About 4 percent of the dry weight of seaweed is Fucoidan.
According to research studies in 2002 and 2005, Fucoidan have labeled as an exciting new ingredient, which have a significant potential for cancer treatment. The Seaweeds that contain Fucoidan, are found rich in anti-tumor activity in mice. This research has conducted by Japanese researchers at the Biomedical Research Laboratories and they found that Fucoidan caused different cancer cells such as leukemia, lymphoma, colorectal and stomach cancer cells to self-destruct. Fucoidan has also been found effective in terms of immune-boosting and reducing blood cholesterol levels.
Fucoidan Cancer Treatment Research
Following is all important information about Fucoidan:
Benefits of Fucoidan
Here you can find a review about different benefits of Fucoidan that researchers have found in this magical compound:
- Research shows that Fucoidan is rich in antioxidants. Presence of antioxidants in it make it more beneficial because it protect against cell damage.
- Fucoidan is also sold as a dietary supplement. It kills viruses and combats inflammation.
- Fucoidan is good in stimulating and balancing the immune system as well as guard against neurotoxicity. This compound prevent blood clots in body.
- Research shows that Fucoidan has also several therapeutic properties.
- Traditionally, seaweeds have been used to treat high blood pressure.
- Fucoidan compound is found also good in bacterial and viral infection and inflammatory conditions.
- Recently, Fucoidan has been shown to have antitumor and anticancer effects. Fucoidan’s therapeutic properties may come from its ability to act as natural killer cells and regulate substances involved in cell growth.
- Research published in the March 2011 suggests that Fucoidan stopped some lung cancer cells from proliferating and triggered the programmed death of cancer cells.Another study published in the October 2011 by International Journal of Biological Macromolecules also found that Fucoidan killed lung cancer cells.
Important Facts to Consider
Although Fucoidan has proved extremely beneficial for human health and according to research, it may prove as natural treatment for cancer but it is only an expectation from this compound. Following facts about Fucoidan are important to consider:
- According to CANCERactive (a Cancer Charity concerned solely with the provision of information about cancer), Fucoidan is not considered as a cure for cancer, despite what the research says or experts doing the research may claim.
- All information about compound has taken from published research and expert opinion in the public domain.
- It can’t be concluded till the final results come that any single compound can be a cure for cancer. As cancer prevention is best practiced through a width of measures.
- The most important fact about the studies involving Fucoidan is their vitro stage. Vitro stage means that they are in an artificial environment like in lab, or with animals. There have been no in depth human studies.
- Fucoidan may have a role in cancer treatment but it is too early to say that it can be a complete cure for cancer. Further research is required.
- According to experts, the research on Fucoidan is in its infancy. Due to Fucoidan’s varied biological activities, it might be premature to take this as a dietary supplement. However, brown seaweed is good to take as a healthy diet.
- Despite possessing anti-cancer properties, many food-based phytochemical have been shown to be beneficial for overall health and well-being. There are many different forms of phytochemical including antioxidants and Fucoidan contains that element.
Possible Side Effects
Despite of the fact that Fucoidan has several benefits for human health. Although there have not been reports of major adverse reactions from using Fucoidan, but following are potential side effects.
- In combination with blood-thinning medication, Fucoidan can cause an increased risk of bleeding.
- Consumption of large amounts of brown seaweed, such as kelp or bladderwrack, could lead to thyroid problems as they contain high amount of iodine.
- Brown seaweed could be poisonous if it had absorbed toxic substances like arsenic, from contaminated waters. It is advised to have a clinician before using Fucoidan or any type of brown seaweed for medicinal purposes.